Thursday, August 14, 2008

How Sweet It Is

A few of my favorite moments over the last five days...

The Homecoming



Absolutely fabulous. My plane arrived about thirty minutes prior to its scheduled arrival, so I was actually waiting on D and Chris when they walked through the sliding doors. A reverse surprise of sorts, you might say. In all honesty, D looked a little puzzled when he first saw me. Could have been the fact that I was bawling, but whatever the reason, he warmed up pretty quickly (thank goodness, or who knows what kind of flooding I could have caused?). This summer was incredibly emotional and difficult, despite the beautiful location and fabulous people I met along the way. But I am happy to say that it is over now, and I am so so SO happy to be home with my two fellas. And a shout out to my husband, the rock star - the house was cleaner than I've ever seen it, D is healthy and thriving, and the cats are still alive. Success!

I was so early that D didn't get to don his official arrival clothes, but we remedied that quickly.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, that is not some fancy-schmancy photography trick in photo-op number one. Indeed, it is my sad duty to report that our camera is at last kicking the bucket. And in its place I hope to obtain a super-fly, super-duper DSLR camera. Suggestions, anyone?

Hanging Out Aunt Boolie Style
Aunt Boolie gave us this cute little doggy cap before we traveled to Ethiopia. And I swear, the kid has worn it. But Aunt Boolie insists that the only time he actually donned the cap was to take the following photo:


So, in an attempt to remedy the apparent "situation," here is D again sporting the oh, so charming puppy hat - a tad tight, but I think he still pulls it off quite nicely.





Rock On



This kid seriously digs his music. In fact, whenever we turn on his stereo, D zooms right over and begins to jam. Today I tried out swing music for the first time. I will forever regret that my camera wasn't immediately accessible. D started shrieking with joy and dancing while still on all fours. I think swing dance lessons are definitely in our future.

What the . . . ?

I made this bowl of cereal on Tuesday morning. It used to be Raisin Bran. Then the phone rang, the plumbers knocked on the door, and D woke up. By the time I got back to it, my lovely bowl of Raisin Bran looked like bloated brown bodies wallowing in a pit of slime. Yeah, it was that disgusting. But this is just one example of how extremely hectic life has been since my return to The Bend.

"Oscar the Grouch" or "Kermit the Frog"?



I think you have to enlarge these photos to truly appreciate just how green his eyebrows really were. Today was not a good day for our little Squirticus. Not sure if it's a looming ear infection, allergies, or just plain tiredness, but D was not his normal sunny self. This translated into a lot of eye rubbing, ear pulling, and slapping at the spoonfuls of green peas coming his way, ultimately leading to the greenish monster you see pictured above. But I think he looks pretty sweet in green, don't you?

13 comments:

Julie said...

The hat looks fabulous on him. I love the pics but am sad that you didn't get the swing dancing on film. He looks so excited to see you on Sunday!! He says, "Sweet! Mom's home!" Glad to hear you so happy.

Mama Papaya said...

Happy wholeness! And yeah, that is a lot of green, which ain't easy. Or so they say.

Flatulent said...

I have a Sony A100 SLR camera. I love it!

Peg

Mark and Sarah said...

Oh, I'm SO glad you're finally home. You look so happy to be home with your boys. We were on vacation last week and just got your message about the game...wish we could have gone with you! Thanks for the invitation. I'm really hoping you're back to stay next summer so we can get to know you all better!

Mark and Sarah said...

Oh, and p.s. I love the pics on the Johnson-McCormick blog and they have a Nikon D40 SLR with some fancy schmancy lens...but it seems to take professional-like photos (or maybe that's just the photographers!).

Deirdre said...

Yay for home!! So glad you're reunited and all is happy (if hectic and a little cranky too). Love the all-natural eyebrow conditioner! I'll have to give that a try.

Melanie said...

I'm sooooo glad you are back!!!! You need to be with your son!!!! He is so adorable....love the pea pictures!!!!! Yippee - you are together again!!

The Jabber said...

He is SO DAMN CUTE!

Kimberley said...

Welcome home!!!! I swear D is the cutest little guy ever!!!!

Anonymous said...

OK CHRISTINA AND ELIZABETH!! I JUST TALKED TO AUNT ANITA AND SHE SAID THAT YOU TWO WERE VISITING SPRINGFIELD, MO!!! WITHOUT ME!! WHY DOESN'T ANYONE EVER TELL ME ABOUT THESE THINGS!?!? WITH DINKENEH I MIGHT ADD!!! HOPE YOU TWO ARE HAVING FUN. THERE BETTER BE SOME GOOD PICS. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM. ELIZABETH...I NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND YOUR DORM ADDRESS, PRETTY PLEASE!! LOVE YOU GUYS!

Chatter said...

I'm so happy you are home for good! I bet you are in heaven. My camera is dying too and I want the Nikon D40. We'll see if it happens...
Good day!

Anonymous said...

alright aiden!! tell those slackers you call mom & dad that i have checked this blog for pictures of you for the last week and there has been nothing!!! while you, mom & aunt lizbeth have been out gallavanting around i have been stuck here all alone!! you guys better be saving up some really, really good ones. i miss you guys! can't wait to see you....and more pics of my nephew. everyone at work always looks forward to them also. oh yeah!! and they love my background on my computer......a very green kermit the frog!!! my favorite!

TJRF said...

Welcome home Christina! It must be so great to have that feeling of HOME again. He is looking sooo big now, and happy! Thinking of you often, Tony