Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our Election Day

All two pictures of it. I intended to document the entire day, but was a little (or a lot) exhausted by the end of it. This exhaustion was evidenced by the fact that I put D in the bathtub, finished washing him, and only then realized that he went into the bathtub with his socks on. Seriously. I took pictures to prove it. But my day at the polls was totally worth it. I got to help save a vote from destruction (the inspector thought that if an absentee voter accidentally voted three people for a school board that only had one available seat, it invalidated the entire ballot. luckily, we got that straightened out). I also got to involve the lawyers when the GOP challenger tried to argue that all of our absentee ballots were invalid due to an alleged procedural mistake. Fun times :). The best part of the day by far was witnessing SO MANY first time voters casting their ballots. I witnessed a 94 year old Black man, using a walker, insist on inserting his ballot into the ballot reader on his own. Afterwards, he turned to us and said, "I never thought I'd see this day. I want to be sure my vote counts." And the endless thumbs up from voters as they turned in their ballots. And all of the families who made it a point to come out and vote together, often discussing the significance of their votes with their children. We didn't have long lines, but because of the early voting, we had 58% voter turnout in the precinct. It was just an incredible experience.

It also struck me how the only GOP representative was there trying to have votes invalidated, while we had four Democratic reps present--a lawyer (after the ruckus, we kept one on hand), me to keep track of data and keep an eye on the GOP fella, and two people outside who actually drove people to the correct precinct if they made a mistake--all trying to protect votes. Now, I know that no political party is perfect and each utilizes its fair share of slimey political tactics, but it struck me that every person I knew who was working for the GOP yesterday was either in Indiana or Ohio trying to disenfranchise voters, while every person I knew working for the Democratic party yesterday was trying to protect citizens' rights to vote. It was a pretty eye-opening experience.





4 comments:

AnnMarie & Nick said...

Your little D is so cute! I bet he had some pretty clean socks when bath time was up:)

Rachel said...

Love the socks. I've had days like that myself:-)

Lynn said...

D wears socks in the bathtub?

Chatter said...

That is hilarious! by the way, what do I need to do so you'll see when I update my blog? I know you are computer savvy and have the answer. Help me..