Monday, March 9, 2009

I have a daughter!

Seriously, I am giddy. It's ridiculous. I am 30 years old; one would think I could control my emotions better at this mature point in my life (stop laughing Jules). But I have a daughter!!!! Holy baby girl, Batman! We received Sprout's official assignment paperwork today, along with some updated medical information. Let me tell you, this chica is kicking Dinkeneh's caboose in all areas. Watch out, little man - your sister is one tough cookie. She is rocking in at the 25th percentile on American charts in all areas: height, weight, head circumferance, and all those crazy proportionality stats that I never quite get (like no, her hand is not bigger than her head - that sort of thing). Okay, she might be slightly less than 25th% for weight, but certainly more than the 10th%. Whatever, who cares. She's on the charts! Wahoo! My darling little D's presence on the charts was at all times debatable, at best 3rd%. So keep on sproutin', Sprout. Get big enough, and Miss Norah will show you how to take care of your big brother when he gets outta line.

I think it's just now sinking in that this is really happening. We had settled in for a nice long wait. I even delayed posting about our official wait until February, thinking I would save some of our readers the angst of listening to me whine for a few months. Boy, was I off!

But wait...have I mentioned I have a daughter?!

We first saw Sprout's profile on February 18th. It was a long two weeks of waiting, questionnaires, new medical updates, and general nail-biting. But it was totally worth it to get the call on March 5th from Holt's social worker, whose first words were, "Is this Christina? Congratulations!" Awesome, awesome moment. And it got even better when we received four new pictures the next day. She has already changed so much! She has huge, kissable cheeks and a dainty little chin, dark curls and big ol' eyes. She's just a little sweetheart. Obviously, I can't post pictures (or her name, per Holt instructions, bummer), but if you take a look at this here blog, and scroll down to find Mimi's first moments picture, there is a striking resemblance between that picture and Sprout's referral photo.

I can't wait to kiss those cheeks!!!

We aren't supposed to hear about court until a few weeks before the big day, and we've been cautioned to expect a second court date as well. Blech. But so it goes. Until then, be prepared for a disgusting display of consumerism as I attempt to single-handedly buy out the local Hanna Andersson store without totally breaking the bank. Oh, and if anyone, just anyone, knows of one or two second-hand Tripp Trapps, email me please. I officially hate Craigslist here in The Bend. They are holding out on me. Oh, and I could use some pro/con analysis of the side-by-side strollers for those of you with two young kiddos. Worth it, or not? Recommendations? See what I mean about rampant consumerism? Hey, we all do what we can in these trying economic times.

Have I mentioned I have a daughter?!

24 comments:

TJRF said...

Holy Carp! I am calling you tomorrow! Answer your phone when you see me pop up! Super huge congrats, and can't wait to talk to you! T

Lyn-Dee said...

OMG - How totally exciting for you guys. D is going to be so lucky to have a little sister. You didn't mentioned how old she was. CONGRATS!!!

Czarnecki Family said...

I know I already said this on the boards but Congrats!

I would not do the side-by-side, we used ours once (luckily it was free!) I love the one-in-front-of-the-other strollers (wow - I hope they have an actual name!) and I think they are a lot more manageable - some of the side-by-sides won't fit through a standard door! Okay, there's my $.02!
-Meghan

Cindy said...

woo-hoo-hoo-hoo!!
This was a great post! So excited! Congratulations again!

Nancy said...

Ahhh little baby girls - they just squeeze every bit of retail sense right out of your brain and consequently your pocket.

Just can't wait to meet her. So happy for you 30 year-old giddy girl. (I am SO not 30 and still get giddy over many so things)

Melanie said...

Congratulations!!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!! Yeah!!

Stacey said...

WOW!!! Congrats! Girls are great!! As for strollers, we love the combi twin savvy. It is a side by side, fits through standard doorways, folds up to a rectangle and is only about 11-15 lbs. Also, the people at the hanna andersson outlet in Michigan City are great. If you call and give sizes, they will tell you what they have and even ship! email me if you have other questions. Wa HOO!

Julie said...

This excitement is palpable! I love it! You have a Daughter!!!!

Mark and Sarah said...

Congratulations again! What a surreal month! Here's to hoping you pass court the FIRST time! Oh, and if you have any friends in the NY area, maybe they could pick this up for you and ship it to you! http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bab/1066595327.html

TonyaMarie said...

Big Congrats!!! How exciting! Girls are so fun...though they do tend to drain the bank account a bit faster than boys.
Yes, you need a double stroller...that is, if you actually want to go anywhere. :) I have used the double stadium style strollers, the double jogger, and the sit and stand. They all have pros and cons depending on what you need. Shoot me an email if you want more info.
And congrats again! I can't wait to see her in your arms!!!

Jess said...

I'm so excited for you! You have a daughter!!!

Check out Boden and Garnett Hill for kids stuff, very cute! They both seem to stand up well even after a few kids!!!

Oh and I hate the side by side stollers! They are such a pain in stores! Except for the jogger! If you run/walk then side by side works for that:)

Jill said...

Congratulations Christina! It's Jill from the Holt forum. I love how you shared the information on your blog. Too cute!

Anyway, I am a huge fan of our Phil and Ted's stroller. One in front of the other, and it has a cool bassinet feature for a wee one to lay completely flat and hidden with big brother in front.

Hooray for you and yours!

Life in the Bend said...

I love our side-by-side jogger since we use it almost solely on long walks. These days, Atticus gets mad at Norah because she hugs him during our walks. They do love looking at each other though. It is a pain to get through standard doorways.

When I run errands alone, I put one in an umbrella stroller and one in an Ergo. I do NOT like having to deal with big strollers and cars (check anything you get in your Corolla!).

You can always wait and see how much of a need you have. Sprout will probably be happy in the Ergo for a while and D might be sick of strollers by the time she's ready for one.

M and M said...

Absolutely wonderful news. Congratulations on your daughter...let me say it again...daughter!

cathy said...

SO FREAKIN' EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! (((MWAH)) Big kisses to all of you!

Jane said...

"I have a granddaughter! and a grandson,too!" Wow, I am sooo beyond excited...can't wait!!! I am warming up my sewing machine!!

the ben show said...

So exciting!

Chatter said...

Great post Christina. I love it! And Hanna Anderson rocks. I shopped their clearance after Christmas so my boys have xmas jammies and halloween jammies. Good stuff. It was great catching up with you and I hope D does good tonight sleeping. He is so stinking cute! I love the updated pics.
Chand

Nikki said...

That's amazing- congratulations!!!

Cindy said...

I almost wrote "Holy Crap!" but I see that the first commenter took the words right from my mouth! Wowza, how'd you get so darn lucky skipping all that wait and right to the niddy? Oh, I would go bankrupt on little girl clothes. ;)

Totally love our side by side jogger (make sure front wheel pivots 360 degrees); easy enough for an elderly and weakling grandmother to push around. Never considered the tandem sort; harder to push when weights go up I've heard. They don't have to be top of the line mega pricey to be good (ours was one of the cheaper ones on Amazon.com and has held up great).

I actually think a wagon works great too for certain times (we have a choo choo wagon with 3 seats that I adore).

Have fun dreaming of baby girl!

Kimberley said...

Just catching up!!! Congratulations!!!! You are such a good secret keeper ;o).

Kari said...

OMG!!!!!! How have I missed this?? I am SOOOO excited for you guys. This is amazing and I can't wait to meet her too. Are you just dying with excitement??????? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Stacy said...

oh how exciting!!!

Cami said...

Congratulations! It is such wonderful news. I just got into the blogging thing and saw that you commented on one of my blogs about our home study. Thanks for your thoughts. And all went well because we were approved :-) I can only wish to be where you are in the process! Best wishes.