Saturday, August 1, 2009

Likely Delay in Bringing Our Daughter Home

Last night at 5:00 PM we received a call from three directors at our adoption agency informing us that there will likely be a 2 to 11 month delay in bringing our daughter home. The U.S. Embassy panel physician, upon completing our daughter's medical exam pursuant to issuing her visa, believed that she needed to undergo a Tuberculosis sputum test based on new CDC TB testing guidelines. The test requires a minimum of 8 weeks to complete. If the result is negative, she can then be issued a visa and come home. If positive, she will be required to undergo a 6 to 9 month treatment in Ethiopia before being issued a visa. For more information on the new testing protocol, see http://ethiopia.usembassy.gov/tb_testing.html. For more information on why adopted children should not be required to undergo this testing, and to sign the petition in support of the FACE Act of 2009, which would eliminate the need for adopted children to comply with unrelated immigration requirements, visit http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/face-act-of-2009.html.

As you can imagine, we are devastated and very unsure of where to go from here. After soul-searching for several hours, and long discussions with our agency directors, we have decided to move forward with traveling to Ethiopia today. While in Ethiopia we will meet with the U.S. Embassy to clarify why she was selected to undergo the test, in the hopes that there may have been some form of miscommunication. In the likely event that we will not be able to obtain her visa, we will return home without her on August 15th. I imagine that if we have to leave her, it will be the most difficult thing we will ever have to do as parents. Regardless of the outcome of this trip, we will at least be able to spend time with her while in Ethiopia.

Sisaye is our daughter, both legally and where it matters most, in our hearts. She WILL come home, the question now is when, and what we will do for her care in the interim. Although she could remain in our agency's care, an institutional environment is clearly not the best place for her. If we are forced to return home without her, we will be facing some very difficult decisions: namely, whether one of us (likely Christina with Dinkeneh) will return to Ethiopia in the next month or so to take her into full custody, knowing that if the TB test comes back positive, it could be a very long stay in-country.

We would appreciate your good thoughts and prayers through the coming weeks as we struggle to come to a solution that gives both of our children what they most need: family.

Chris, Christina, Dinkeneh, and Sisaye

29 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, Christina. I am so sorry to hear that you all are facing such an unknown and difficult time. I will be praying for you all and all the parties involved that they can perhaps work a miracle so you can home as scheduled but if not that you all will know exactly what is the right thing for you all to do. I hope that in spite of all this, you have a wonderful time in Ethiopia.

Life in the Bend said...

I hope someone in your family will be able to keep us updated on the situation if you can't blog or email very much about it. I'll be thinking about you all the time and hoping for the best.

Have a safe flight!

Holli said...

oh my.... I am so sorry to hear this. Praying you will ALL be on the flight home in a weeks time!!!

Cindy said...

I am so sorry that this has happened to you all. We will be thinking of you and hoping for the very best. I REALLY hope that we get to see a picture of all 4 of you together next week. Happy and Safe travels!

Crystal said...

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Crystal said...

I can't even put word to this but I want you to know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Beth said...

Christina, My heart breaks for you but is hoping for a miracle. I am sure that you are hestitant to get your hopes up as it is unlikely for that miracle to to take place, but I am hopeful just the same.
As tears spill down my cheeks at the thought of what may be ahead for you, I am also stunned by the strength that so humbly comes across in your writing.
I am a believer in things happening for a reason, but it is in times like these and times that we went through in our adoption, that I can't help but ask "Why?!?!?!?!".
Take hold of what time you have and cling to that precious baby girl with all your heart.
I, along with countless others, will be praying for you, thinking of you and hoping with and for you, that your family will be united and come home as one, as soon as is humanly possible.
All the love and hope I can send across an ocean, Beth

Rachel said...

Whoa... am reading these blog posts out of order so I just got to this one. I'm devastated. Will be thinking about you guys and sending uber good thoughts to Ethiopia. America's policies with regard to international adoption need to be revamped YESTERDAY. Please keep us all updated as best you can and let us know if we need to do any mobilizing via the Web to help bring you ALL home.

Shannon- said...

Thinking of you. This hurts.

Heather said...

Oh. My. God.
Will be praying and checking in on your blog regularly.
I cannot imagine the emotions for you with this. Know that prayers and thoughts are going up for you.
Hoping for a miracle,
Heather

Mark and Sarah said...

Christina, this is absolutely ludacris!! Do you know if calling a Congressman could help!? We are hoping that there was a mistake or a bad judgment on the part of the physician that can be quickly corrected. Please keep us posted. Thinking of you!!!

AnnMarie & Nick said...

Oh, I'll be thinking and praying for your family! I'm so sad to hear this news, I've been thinking of your family a lot recently.

Enjoy your trip and spending time with your new little one!

Deirdre said...

Oh guys, I'm so, so sorry. We're in tears over here just imagining what you're going through. I signed the petition, and I'm also going to write letters to the US Embassy in Addis and the CDC. I'm so, so, sorry. Still sending all our hopes for a joyous meeting with your daughter, and hoping for a fast resolution to this mess.

cw said...

I left you a note on the yahoo group too but let us know if there is anything we can do from this end. Praying that the agency personnel can get in there an advocate for you cause even reading the TB protocols I am not sure why they are singling out an infant. It sounds like the doctor has grossly misinterpreted the protocol.

I have the link to the petition to eliminate this requirement on my blog
www.pullthisblogover.blogspot.com

Lyn-Dee said...

My heart is heavy for you all. I will keep my fingers crossed that things will work out and you will bring little miss S home with you in the next week.

Kathrin said...

What I think is wonderful, is that even you got such bad news you are right there making it work for your kids. That's love. I admire your power.
I am thinking of the 4 of you.

Mama Papaya said...

Sending all my hope with you.

Julie said...

No words, just know that I am thinking of you guys. If you still want to get together let me know. I'd like to give you a big hug in person. Let me know, too, if there is anything I can do over there. Strength in numbers right?

morgenj12 said...

Oh, I am so, so sorry that you are going through this. I will be hoping with all my might that this situation can be resolved quickly and that you can bring your little girl home right away.

Rae said...

Christina, when my son tested positive, I did the same thing. I went, knowing that if we had to stay in Addis for 6 months that at least we would be there as a family. We were home only a couple of weeks late, and I think that my being there helped navigate the situation efficiently. Good luck, I'll be thinking about you!

Margot said...

I don't know what to say except I am sorry. I can't pretend to imagine what you are going through but you and your family (including my daughter's beautiful crib buddy) are in my thoughts. I hope that you are all home together soon. Margot

Sprout's House said...

Oh guys, I am so, so sorry. I wish I could do something to help with the pain you all must be feeling. You will be in our thoughts and I hope you return with baby girl in your arms. If there is anything, anything at all we can do to help, please do not hesitate to let us know. ((hugs))

P. said...

I am glad you choose to travel! I feel the Holy Spirit is working strongly in your lives!

I think your daughter needs to feel her parent's arms around her. I will pray this is a miscommunication and you will be able to bring her home this trip.

Peggy

Mama Sweet Pea said...

Sending hugs and prayers your way. Hang in there...

Kari said...

Oh Christina my heart hurts for you. I am SOO sorry that this is happening to you guys. You will definately be in our thoughts as you head to ET. I hope, hope, hope that you will get good news when you get there instead. ((((HUGS))))))

Enjoy the time in ET with your daughter.

laugheveryday said...

Oh my gosh, Christina - I am so sorry. I will be praying praying praying....

Melanie said...

I don't even know what to say.....WOW! I cannot even imagine what you are going through....I will be thinking about you and hoping that things don't take nearly as long as they are saying.

Jennifer said...

Thinking of you and your family in Ethiopia and hoping little S does NOT have to undergo the dreaded sputum testing. Have you been in touch with Project Hopeful? They may be of some help to you?

shelly said...

Praying for you and your family!