Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Twelve Books of Christmas

What it is: The kiddos receive a book a day on the mantle for the twelve days leading up to Christmas. Originally, I intended to donate another set of the same books to Ethiopia Reads. Last year, that proved a bit more difficult than I anticipated, so instead, we're just going to give the amount in cash, with the expectation that Ethiopia Reads will use it as they see fit.

Credit for this idea goes, of course, to Mama Papaya, who yet again, beat me to the posting of her twelve books. Some folks contacted me last year expressing some interest in doing the same thing, and I think it would be fabulous to have more and more people "participate." Ethiopia Reads is a fantastic organization, and I know they appreciate the support.

How do I select the Twelve Books? I don't have any real method to the madness. This year I went for an art theme, but made several changes at the last minute because I felt the theme was too restrictive, and I was buying books merely to keep with the theme. We own an inordinate number of children's books, and I'm behind on my goodreads account (where I try to maintain a virtual library so I can easily see what we've got). So I'm afraid that one of the books (which I already ordered) is a duplicate. Ah, well. So it goes.

Without further ado, I give to you the Twelve Books of Christmas, Version 2009:


Max's Words




13 comments:

Rachel said...

We LOVE "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More"!!!!! Kevin tries to read it without using "ain't" (proper grammar and all) and it's SOOOO annoying when he does it! You NEED the ain't! I really think Gabriel learned the parts of his body based solely on this book!

Mama Papaya said...

Is it weird that I have been totally giddy waiting for this post? Worth the nerd moment. You do good books, my friend. Really good books.

If you need a quick substitute Blue Goose has an art theme and is how I FINALLY taught my oldest child colors. It got ugly there for awhile.

I donate money to Ethiopia Reads as well in lieu of the actual books. They can do much more than 12 books with it.

Love the idea of cataloging your books on Goodreads. Brilliant. Would have spared me One Fish, Two Fish, damn that's a lot of fish incidents (three copies).

P. said...

Where did you find these? My neighbor has a 2 year old and she might love these books.

Peg

Christina said...

Hey Peg! If you click on the title, it will take you to Amazon (which usually has the cheapest prices). You can also call a local Borders or Barnes and Noble. They'll likely have some, if not all, of the titles. Hope that helps!

Christina

jayme said...

Ain't Gonna Paint, and The Dot are two of my favourite books ever!

Like you and Carrie, I totally geek out over awesome children's books, and it's so much fun to see what others have chosen!

Sam's mom said...

I heart Max!!
And I'm such a Grinch girl it's not even funny!

Sara said...

I have never heard of Goodreads before and now I am totally in love! Thanks!

evf said...

Love it!! And Kevin Henkes has fab kids books. We love Kitten's First Full Moon. Some perennial favorites in there.

Aunt Em said...

These look like great kids books. However, I am VERY surprised you didn't already have One fish Two fish Red fish Blue fish....unless you did and that's your duplicate. :)

Jill said...

You FINALLY broke out Chrysanthemum?!?!? Just NOW?!?!! I agree with Em that 1 Fish 2 Fish should have been a dup, but how could this NOT have been??!?! Haven't seen that one by Eric Carle either...will need to check it out. Yeah ~ you pariah of FB didn't see my post the other day, but B's school had a Scholastic Book Fair and I was late to work because of it...heh heh. Feel your pain.

kelly said...

LOVE that idea!

Jamey... said...

We'll definitely be doing this next year!

Anonymous said...

What the heck!!! Where are my nephew & niece!!!??! Post something!!


Love ya!!!
Aunt Kate