D's favorite Christmas present was also free (at least for me). My mom unearthed my brothers' old basketball goal from the attic, cleaned it up and ordered a few more balls, and it was the clear hit of Christmas. He could have cared less about the other gifts we gave him. Note to self: one gift each will probably do it for next year, and clearly I should leave my mom in charge.
For the past few weeks, we have heard all manner of interesting sayings being shouted from the playroom:
- Shoot Atticus! (Interpretation: I would like to shoot the ball with Atticus, please.)
- Shoot ball Betsy! (Sorry Betsy; I did try to explain that you were not really into basketball.)
- Shoot it DOWNTOWN! (Said while sitting on the top of the changing table. We can thank Chris for that one.)
- Trick shot! (Said while perching in any number of precarious positions, like balancing on the Bilibo, on a stack of books, standing in the macaroni tub, etc.)
- Nothin' net! (Said anytime the ball hits the net.)
- Slam dunk! (Said while using the Bilibo to reach the rim.)
Thanks to an instructional session by Chris, D can also name all the various parts of the goal, including the post and the backboard. It's a trip, I tell you. Now if we could only improve his underhanded form....