Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Read Pile

The Glass Castle: A MemoirLoving Frank: A NovelWhen You Reach MeThe HelpLucky Girl: A MemoirThis Is a Soul: The Mission of Rick Hodes

Listed in the order in which I recommend them, left to right, top to bottom.

Absolutely loved The Glass Castle.  Difficult to put down, even at 2 am, which is when I found myself reading the final pages.  Thanks to Bagel for the tip.  

Really liked Loving Frank.  I knew next to nothing about Frank Lloyd Wright, which made the ending all the more unbelievable.  Note that this is a work of fiction, albeit historical fiction that stays pretty much true to the main events/chronology.  I was surprised by my feelings toward Maymah Borthwick.  Pretty much all I can say without a spoiler. 

Really liked When You Reach Me.  I haven't read the other Newbery nominees for 2010, but it was clear from the beginning why this one would have been a contender.  Fast pacing, nice blending of every-day with science fiction, and Dick Clark is always a nice touch.  All I'm sayin'.

Thought The Help was just okay.  Solid read, enjoyable enough, but thought the author dropped the ball a bit in certain parts.  (How does one ever write book reviews without spoilers?  Maybe I should just go to a star system so as to avoid lame reviews that basically say nothing).

Lucky Girl was just okay.  Always informative to read adoptee memoirs, just wasn't a huge fan of the author's writing style.  Decent.

I was really disappointed in This Is a Soul.  Not with the subject of the book (Dr. Hodes has done some incredible work), but with the author and her apparent unwillingness to a) remain objective, b) engage in serious journalism, c) explore ethical questions, and d) leave her ego out of the book.  Dr. Hodes deserved better than the end result here, in my opinion.  I know this is probably not going to be a popular opinion.  Ah, well.

1 comment:

Jess said...

oooh I'm going to have to try the glass castle...I had started the help, and really didn't care for it but couldn't figure out why, I think you're soo right...I ended up not even finishing it because I have such small amounts of reading time I didn't want to waste it:)