Friday, September 10, 2010

Wholy Confession

I am a thief.  Of sorts.  You see, about two hours before Mama P laid down the gauntlet, Chris and I had a chat about some little grocery cart "inconsistencies" we were experiencing.  Lucky Charms next to the organic milk.  Oreos next to the organic, California-grown spinach.  (In case you didn't notice, we live nowhere near the West Coast).  That sort of thing.  We talked about what it might be like to do "whole foods only" for a week or two, just to get some new perspective on our eating habits.  At the same time, I had also been on the lookout for an original* topic to address on my blog, something I might contribute to the amazing conversations I saw going on all around me.  This whole foods thing seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

And then she posted.  Two hours later.

And I may have whined.  A lot.  On the phone.  To her.  About my "stolen" idea.  And in a fit of what I can only describe as two-year-old-angst, I declared that I would simply remain silent forever about anything substantive.  It also did not escape my notice that she took the whole foods thing to a level I had not even contemplated.  The Rules, the preparation, the well thought out approach, all salt in the (imaginary) wound.

Okay, so I really wasn't upset.  Maybe a tad bit disappointed that she beat me to the punch, and did it so much better than I ever could or would.  But it didn't take long for me to get super excited about this new whole foods venture.  Mama Papaya's rules provided good food for thought, and I started to think perhaps we could commit to an entire year of whole foods.  Chris was a little more hesitant (he is usually the one who thinks first, unlike me), but eventually we were able to come to an agreement about how it would work for us.  And it has, splendidly. 

So where does the theft come in?  Well, for the better part of eight months, I have been shamelessly stealing others' whole food recipes and ideas, with very few, if any, contributions of my own to the conversation.  That ends now.  I'll do a future post about what whole foods looks like in our house, and what a difference it's made in our lives, but for the time being, here are some of the foods that have graced our table these past two weeks:


 




*To the blogs I frequent; admittedly a small number.

4 comments:

M and M said...

Oh yeah! I love to see good food and families. My own efforts fall so short I can't even take a 6 inch ruler to them! I admire the effort. After 22 years of cooking for a family I am so worn out on cooking - but this isn't a good dynamic for me or my family. I'm looking forward to seeing your goods on the table! Woot!

hibagel said...

Don't trash the Oreos, man. Oreos were my one saving grace during a lonely Easter weekend in Ethiopia. ;)

Hooray for you guys! And pumpkin corn soup sounds sooooo good!

cathy said...

just yesterday i was eating and thinking, "do cheetos and organic apples cancel eachother out?" so i hear ya. and mama p did throw the gauntlet down, didn't she. i applaud you!!!! post lots of recipes, please. i am now a vegetarian and would love to have successful favorites from my blog buddies.

Cindy said...

Looks amazing! I will have to continue working on thinking about whole foods for a whole year : )