Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Prepping for Love

Wow, that post title could really get me in a lot of trouble with search engines.  Advance apologies to those who are disappointed upon arrival.

We are having all sorts of fun prepping for love in la casa de kidlettes.  First up, painted hearts.  Love them!  We don't own a punch, so I just drew my own heart template.  We used red and pink tempera paint (I would have used white, but apparently purchasing white paint fell out of my head during the craft store run).  The kidlettes had a blast counting their hearts and slapping on the paint.  I had a blast hole punching and stringing them up.  Pretty darn cute, if I do say so myself.  And I do :).




After nap, we made our very first batch of homemade granola "bars".  Dinkeneh wasn't as interested in the hand mixing, but Sisaye Claire picked up the slack and got everything nice and moist.  In lieu of bars, we embraced the love by using heart shaped silicon cups.  The end result was heart shaped yumminess:




Some feedback on the granola bar recipe.  These were way too sweet for us, which I guessed going in.  But I like to try out recipes in their original state first, as a sort of base to work from.  Next time around, I'll either cut the brown sugar in half or leave it out entirely.  I'll also play with adding some finely chopped dried fruit and nuts in place of the chocolate chips.  We only use whole oats, so I pulsed them in the food processor for a bit and they worked just as well.  Finally, if you're using regular sized silicone cups instead of the minis, be sure to adjust your time accordingly.  Mine took about 14 minutes to cook.



6 comments:

Life in the Bend said...

Yum!

kate said...

So jealous i'm not there to enjoy in the love prepping festivities!!! Super cute and looks yummy!

*Jess* said...

fun times! I hope my kids get well enough to do stuff like that before V-day is here!

Jess said...

oh so cute! I remember when I only had two kids and I still did crafts:) Great for you- just ripping on myself for being such a slacker lately!!!! Maybe we'll have to prep for some love too! Those do look yummy, and I'm guessing if they're too sweat for you then my sugarholic children just may eat them (with the chocolate of course!)

Mama Papaya said...

I heart these.

Chatter said...

I do not do enough crafts with my kiddos. Way to go mom & peeps, I love them!