Monday, July 4, 2011

June 20, Part II: To D---- We Go

This was Baby A's special day, although she wasn't with us to enjoy it. We headed off to visit her birthplace. We got to see plenty of coffee trees and fruit stands along the way.





After arriving in D----, we stopped for donuts and juice. Seriously, if I ever get my kidlettes to eat anything remotely healthy after this trip, it will be a freakin' miracle. If anyone knows a good kidlette detox, feel free to share. Okay, I jest...mostly. :)


We got back in the car to see if we could track down the care center where Baby A lived for a bit.

And that's when it happened.

Now, I contemplated having a contest, where I would invite people to take guesses, but I don't think anyone, in a million years, would be able to figure out what happened next.

Brace yourselves, folks.

Sisaye is, well, two. And she's really, really good at it. She had been messing with our driver's console quite a bit, and we kept telling her to knock it off. Just as we were driving rather quickly down the street, she flipped up the lid again, and then pushed it back down at our (rather stern) request. Only this time, that action had a rather unintended consequence. You see, unbeknownst to us, there happened to be an aerosol can in that console, at just the right angle that when Sisaye pushed down the lid, it depressed the button and sprayed our driver...right in the face. Twice. Now this would have been bad enough...

even if it hadn't been pepper spray.

I kid you not.

Thank God our driver was able to pull the car over safely. It honestly took us a couple of seconds to realize what was happening. Even when Dinkeneh started screaming and clawing at his face, I didn't get it. Then it hit me, and holy hell. Even better, the child safety locks were activated, so while our driver was able to escape the car (he literally fell into the street and started retching), the four of us were stuck in the back seat inhaling pepper spray. I went berserk, screaming and banging at the window. I have no recollection of who finally opened our door, I just remember being doubled over spitting in the street, trying to hold up Sisaye, who was screaming, “Mama! It hurts!!!”

To say we attracted a crowd is the world's biggest understatement.

We eventually got some water and were able to wash our faces and rinse out our mouths, but Dinkeneh's pitiful whimper, “I want to go back to the guest house,” well, that pretty much summed up everyone's feelings. We gave up on finding Baby A's care center and headed back to Awassa. We treated our driver to dinner at a nice restaurant (the least we could do, and we did still need him to drive us back to Addis). When Chris and I were finally alone in the hotel room, we looked at each other and just rolled with laughter. I mean, seriously, when something like that happens, what else can you do?

And that was, quite thankfully, the end of June 20.

13 comments:

Cindy said...

Holy Smokes!! That is insane. So happy you are home and I cannot wait to catch up with you.

AnnMarie & Nick said...

OH MY GOSH- BEST STORY EVER!!! So funny I cryed laughing:)

fiddlehead said...

Oh my word!!!! That is hysterical....and I would have NEVER guessed! What a great story!

Kathrin said...

You are home? That's wonderful!

Jill said...

O.M.G.!!!!!!!! And you're writing a book when?????? :D

Jules said...

Geezum. So glad you could laugh about it:)

Kate said...

Absolutely hilarious! We're all loving the travel blog...

cathy said...

um... i am speechless!

Kathrin said...

How is it going? Are you ok?

Stefani said...

Been dying to see what is in the Ripping the Bandaid off post but it doesn't seem to appear here despite showing up on my blog list... Hope all is going well!

Cindy said...

I keep hoping for a post with cute pictures? What is your agencies stand on pictures? Not until you get home.
Hope things are going well! Talk to you later.

Chilly ET said...

In a coffee shop laughing so loud that the man in front of me has turned around TWICE to scowl! Can't wait to get you both on the phone and get caught up.

autumn's dizzy thoughts said...

hilarious! i am now catching up on yuour blog - b/c i, also, have tons of time on my hands and in need of distraction :)