Monday, January 2, 2012

Sisaye Claire


Have I mentioned recently how amazing this girl is?  Because she is.  She fiercely embraces life.  Did you know that she started school on November 10th?  She goes two mornings a week, and is the only community buddy in a class of about eight kiddos who are working on school readiness.  According to her teacher, she is "the best language buddy ever."  No kidding; remember this video?  Only now her words are intelligible.  Sisaye also enjoys exploring boundaries, and I'm really proud of how hard she's working to be respectful of her teacher's classroom rules.  It's a mixed blessing sending a child with Sisaye's gifts to school; on the one hand, I know she has to learn how to navigate a world that requires her to be at least somewhat cooperative, but God, I don't want her to lose that sparkle.


We really love her teacher, who also had Dinkeneh in her class last year, and so far, Sisaye's effervescence remains undiminished.  Happiness.

Also, did you know that Sisaye turned three on November 17th?  Oh, yes, she did.  She celebrated with cupcakes, zookeeper style.  Just in case we had any wild animal incidents to deal with, you know.



Sisaye has adjusted well to her new little siblings.  She has felt the occasional need to request a bottle of milk herself, but so long as she doesn't start requesting diapers (or needing them!), I think we're good.  She is almost always very gentle with them, and is great at problem patrols.  Example: "Mama!  Tsega is eating cat food AGAIN!"  (We really are trying to curb that habit, by the way.)  We always co-sleep in the beginning, and Sisaye has made her way down to "the family bed" at some point most nights.  I have to admit, it's been lovely snuggling up to her sweet sleeping little self.  She smells really good :).

All of this to say, I love this girl.  So very, very much.  (A very) happy belated birthday, baby girl.  And way to rock school and big sisterhood.  We are so proud of you.


7 comments:

Elizabeth Rose said...

What a beautiful post! I love little miss Sisaye Claire. I wish I had half of her "sparkle."

Elizabeth Rose said...

What a beautiful post! I love little miss Sisaye Claire. I wish I had half of her "sparkle."

Kathrin said...

What a lovley post! Happy birthday sweet Sisaye!

*Jess* said...

happy Birthday Sisaye!! :)

Stefani said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Mama Papaya said...

She's amazing. Happy birthday Little Miss Amazing.

Chatter said...

Very, very sweet! Happy belated Birthday Sisaye! You are a very special girl.