Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Couple of Good Eats

I made Cynthia Lair's Creamy Broccoli Soup (V) for the first time last week, and it was love at first taste.  I have the old version of her cookbook (not sure if it's in the new one), and she doesn't list it on Cookus Interruptus, but you can Google it.  My mods:  I sub'd veggie broth for the water, steamed the broccoli rather than blanch, and I pureed most of the broccoli into the soup rather than leave it in chunks as she directs.  Every single one of us loved this soup (well, except Dinkeneh, but he doesn't count for purposes of food critiquing).  In case you decide to go the Google route, do note that the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of cashew butter, not 2 teaspoons.  Just sayin'.

Ben's Friday Squashcakes (dairy-free), formerly known as Ben's Friday Pancakes.  I've blogged about these before, but we went the dairy-free route last week, and they turned out great; even better than the original!  This is the way we will be making them from now on, though I will possibly try to sub flax for the egg next time to make them fully vegan.  We're not, by the way, but we're having fun experimenting :).  Simple mod:  3/4 cup pureed squash + 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk in place of the yogurt/milk.  You could try it with squash and water, but Mama 'Paya's Waffles of Insane Squashness had me reflecting on the marriage of vanilla + squash, so I went with it.  Yumminess abounds.

And a brief reflection on the prior post:  Please do not judge the quality of those recipes by the comments of my notoriously picky 4 year old.  This is the kid who gags at mashed potatoes, juice, carrots, and essentially anything that isn't peanut butter on toast or some form of morning carb.  We have loved the Rosemary Red for a very long time (it is the boy newbie's favorite food, btw) and the Chili Lime Tofu is a new keeper.   Just in case you were elevating D's comments to a status you shouldn't... :).

And yes, I am working on a photo post.

6 comments:

Jill said...

E is now 100% dairy-free too. SO hard. :(

Saw some pix of the (3) of them (didn't see D?!?) when your sis tagged you on FB and they are SOO cute. I could EAT A's cheeks they're so delicious!!! love LOVE! beautiful babies!!!!

aja said...

I wanted to let you know that your children are beautiful! My husband and I are in the process of researching adoption from Ethiopia and I came across your site.

aja said...

I wanted to let you know that your children are beautiful! My husband and I are in the process of researching adoption from Ethiopia and I came across your site.

victoria said...

So, when these recipes call for sugar, what do you use? Do you use white, brown or do you sub honey or something else?

victoria said...

I couldn't actually find the recipe with the link. Coyld you possibly email me the recipe?

Aunt Emily said...

Still working on the photo post I suppose? :)